To Kill a Mockingbird, 1960 - Background: General
- Jim Crow Era
- When Scout says that "Maycomb County had recently been told that it had nothing to fear, but fear itself," she quotes a sentence from Franklin D. Roosevelt's first inaugural address. With this sentence he was referring to the economic conditions of the time - The Great Depression.
- Items mentioned in the novel
- Indian Head pennies
- Lining. At Calpurnia's church, the children witness "lining". See also the only picture in Calpurnia's church.
- Lane Cake, picture and recipe.
- The children enjoy the Tarzan stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs and the Tom Swift books. Yet Aunt Alexandra would prefer if Scout read stories by Oliver Optic.
- The Great Depression
- Top 5 Causes of the Great Depression.
- The New Deal Network. Documents and photographs present this period in history.
- Riding the Rails. This PBS site includes an annotated time line of the Great Depression, stories of teen hobos, hobo songs, obstacles facing African American hobos, and maps of the rail lines.