Guadeloupe and Martinique

Saint Pierre: Les Ruines du Figuier. These shops along the harbour were left untouched after being destroyed on 8 May 1902 by the pyroclastic flow which, at 8h02 local time, buried 58 square km in and around the town. Note the charred stones on the top of the walls and the huge block moved here from the volcano's top.

« Previous  ·  Back to the thumbnails  ·  Still image ·  Next »