Stromboli 1952-1953

The village and the land

The villages of San Vincenzo and San Bartolo are located on the only major flat piece of land in the NE of the island. The tiny village of Ginostra in the SW can only be reached by sea. In 1952 there is no electricity on the island, and water has to be collected in tanks.

The village and the land
Stromboli 1952, San Vicenzo and the volcano
The village and the land
Via Roma leads from Scari to San Vincenzo
The village and the land
A farmer carries a wine barrel
The village and the land
The house of Ingrid Bergman
The village and the land
Youth hostel Eolo below the church of San Vincenzo
The village and the land
The beginnings of tourism: a lady from Hamburg, aged 60
The village and the land
The priest, a prominent personality, encourages tourism
The village and the land
Working in the vinyards
The village and the land
A few sheep in Piscitą
The village and the land
Typical houses in Piscitą
The village and the land
San Vincenzo's eastern part
The village and the land
Piscitą and San Bartolo; Strombolicchio 2km away
The village and the land
Above San Vincenzo and Ficogrande
The village and the land
Beach of Ficogrande
The village and the land
Maybe this is the home of Eolo, god of the winds?
The village and the land
Water, waves and basalt
The people make a living based on fishing and agriculture (wine, olives, Kapern, capers and a little cattle). Tourism is only beginning. A youth hostel is opened by the village priest. The first hotel opens.

Photos Daniel Holzer, 1952 and 1953